1. The full name of the contest is “WISCONSIN AUCTIONEERS ASSOCIATION, INC. NOVICE AUCTIONEER CONTEST.
2. There shall be one division combined for men and women.
3. Contestants shall be 18 years of age or older, current members of the WAA, and hold a current Wisconsin auctioneer license. An auction market, auction company, private company or business person, association, newspaper, etc. may sponsor a contestant.
4. The contest is open to unlimited entries. The current Novice of the Year may be a contestant but his/her entry fee shall be waived.
5. Entries must be accompanied by a $20 non-refundable entry fee, must be received prior to the contest. Each Contestant is to bring one (1) item to be auctioned off of $25 value or more.
6. All contestants must check in at one half hour( ½ hour) before the contest scheduled time for orientation and drawing for order of appearance. There will be a drawing for the order in which NOVICE contestants compete.
7. The dress code used for the International Auctioneer Championship Contest (IAC) will be used, specifically: men shall wear business suits/ties and dress shoes. Women shall wear business suits (pants or skirt) and no open-toes shoes. Failure to meet the dress code may be cause for elimination at the call of the contest committee.
8. The sound system shall be preset. Contestants will be allowed to test it in advance but cannot adjust it during the contest.
9. Announcements the day of the contest will take precedence over printed material.
10. Three to five judges shall be selected by the contest committee.
11. The IAC scoring system (attached) will be used.
12. When the contestant’s number is called by the Emcee, the contestant shall come to the microphone and state only his/her name, city, contestant number, and sponsor(s), if any. Any reference of a commercial nature for the individual auctioneer shall be cause for a reduction of score.
13. Each contestant shall sell three (3) consecutive items. Before the leaving the microphone, the contestant shall again state his/her name and contestant number.
14. Before leaving the microphone, the contestant shall again state only his/her name, city, contestant number, and sponsors if any. Any reference of a commercial nature for the individual auctioneer shall be cause for a reduction of score.
15. Scores from the contest will determine the NOVICE Auctioneer of the Year.
16. If a tie score occurs in the preliminary round, the contestant with the highest score in the Chant/Voice category will prevail.
17. The NOVICE Auctioneer of the Year is invited to participate at the WI State Fair Auctioneer Championship. There is no charge for this competition to the NOVICE Auctioneer.
18. All contestants will receive participation medallions.
19. Contestants shall not be given the exact order of finish. Score sheets and judges’ comments will be sent after the contest.
20. Committee members shall not participate in the contest in the year in which they serve.
21. Past champions may not compete in subsequent contests.
22. The committee chair shall address, as needed, any and all errors or omissions regarding rules and regulations of the contest. The decision of the committee chair shall be final and binding at the time a decision is made and shall apply to all contestants.
23. All proceeds from the auction will used at the discretion of WAA. An optional 10% buyer’s fee will be donated to a charity chosen by WAA.